Monday, June 10, 2013

OK, OK, I will try to be a bit more diligent about posting - a great writer I am not!


It is Spring! We have the flowers,

 and we have the flys 

Yes, they are BIG! Flys aside, it is absolutely beautiful with the mountains green, the river full and we get to wear shorts on some days. My time has been occupied with collecting wild herbs, tea and mushrooms - tis the season.    




I think we have well over 200-300 kilos of mushrooms, enough to last the restaurant until next season, and of course the season isn't over until November.









So, we have most of the required documentation to open the herb, tea and mushroom collection center that is being supported by USAID, yes you tax dollars at work, thank you very much. It is unbelievable how many places have to authorize the collection of this stuff, especially since everyone does it on a daily basis. I think we have met with every division of Macedonian government there is and had to have a document signed and nothing is official unless it has the proverbial rubber stamp on it. I have learned you are nothing if you do not have a rubber stamp. Tutto has 4 of them. Anyhow, we hope to begin operation in the coming month. We won't get a full year this year but next we should be bringing in "tons" of the wild herbs, teas and mushrooms. We have, so far, over 50 people signed-up to collect in various villages giving them the opportunity to earn the equivalent of $200-$300 per month, which is a lot of money for these villagers.

I am in Struga, a big town, south of where I live, for the Peace Corps In Service Training (IST). We are spending 4 days in language and cultural classes, uggg. But a good break from my village. The hotel is on Lake Ohrid, the largest lake in Macedonia and the setting is spectacular. We have great weather so should be a fun week catching-up with fellow volunteers and hopefully improving my language skills. I guess we need a picture, huh? OK




OK, time to say so long for now. Hope this post finds everyone well and enjoying life. Stacy, my little girl, will be here in less than a month - very excited to see her, seems like it has been a years since I saw her last. OK, goodbyе. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below, questions are acceptable