Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy Holidays

The holiday season. What I miss most are being with my family – my children and my grandchildren. The realization that I took the holidays so much for granted really never hit home until I was away from my family during the holidays – starting with Thanksgiving right on through New Years. The commercialization of Christmas becomes much more apparent when you live in a country that views the holidays as a time to be with family and friends, rather than gifting. Macedonians do not celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December, although there are pockets putting forth an effort. Stores have caught on to the American shopping season, but have not met with the success seen in America. Malls are decorated, streets have lights as do some homes. But, the majority see the 25th as just another workday.

The Christmas season for Macedonia is from the 6th through the 8th of January. We will be celebrating Christmas on the 7th of January (Orthodox calendar). This is a day where only families get together and enjoy each other’s company. Lots of food is prepared and eating occurs throughout the day. On the 6th of January most all villages have a large bonfire in a central location where village residents congregate and exchange food and beverages (generally hot Rakija or wine, all homemade of course). On the 8th is when friends visit each other’s homes for na gosti (get together) and we eat more food. The entire three days is all about family, friends and church. Gifts are generally not exchanged, which is a good thing.

New Years eve is a time for partying, fireworks and the frequent firing of guns into the air. For me I will be with my host family, visiting friends, in a nearby community. We will have a 30 lb roast pig, and all of the trimmings to go with it. And of course, Rakija, wine and beer, no meal, regardless of time of day, is without. New year’s day is void of football and television – but many hangovers.

So to keep this short, I think I like the concept of spending holidays with family and friends and not worrying about buying gifts and trying to figure out how I will pay for them in the new year.

As I said, I do miss my kids and grandkids and my special friends. I would ask each of you, reading this, to cherish the time you have with family and friends and not worry so much about who can give the best gift – after all the best gift is you!

Happy holidays. I hope this new year brings you happiness and prosperity (regardless of how you define it). Be safe, love one another and enjoy your family and friends. I hope to see all of you in 2014.



Harry






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below, questions are acceptable