Sunday, August 31, 2014

...and my two-year adventure comes to an end

So, in two weeks it will be my two year anniversary in Macedonia, hard to believe. I am scheduled to leave Macedonia on November 16th. I will go to Prague for 4-weeks of TEFL training and head back to the US on December 15. Home in time for Christmas. I am sure my last ninety days in Macedonia will be filled with endless "gostis" and sad farewells. Although challenging at times, I will miss my host family who have been wonderful and taken care of me for the past 2-years.

I am sure many of you are asking just what it is I accomplished in two years - good question. Well, the tangibles are:

1.  A wild herb, tea and mushroom collection center funded and supported by USAID (your tax dollars at work) in Jance. The collection center put over 100 community members to work collecting wild herbs and teas. This in an area where unemployment is well above 40%.

2.  The recommendation for increasing tourism in one of Macedonia's largest national parks, Mavrovo, by developing a project plan for  the first-ever "cheese trail" in Macedonia. The cheese trail is a collaboration between the sheep farmers, the national park and the local government. The intent is to offer a venue for tourists to visit sheep farms to see how sheep cheeses are made. In addition, they will have an opportunity to taste and purchase sheep cheeses. This has a twofold impact; one, it will help preserve a dying art of making cheese, which is being replaced by large manufacturing and two, will help increase tourism in Macedonia.

3.  The creation of a "community center" in the Municipality of Kratovo. This was a project funded by a $4,000 SPA grant supported by USAID and Peace Corps. The community center will offer a place for citizens to gather for events such as language classes, blood drives, meetings and any other event that has a community benefit.

So, these are the tangible projects and impact on citizens of Macedonia. The above may not sound like earth-shattering projects but when you consider the impact they will have on the communities and citizens in Macedonia it is really quite overwhelming. Peace Corps feels that if a volunteer has positively impacted one life it is a success for the volunteer. If that is the measure I have been very successful.

The intangibles are the good will we leave behind and the favorable impression of America many Macedonians will have once we are gone. This is equally as important as accomplishing the physical things. I have made many great friends and had many interesting discussion about America - many changing perceptions gotten from television.

On a more personal and selfish perspective this has been by far one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I have to admit, I had my doubts about the impact my two years in Macedonia would have on me. Living in a country that is certainly developing, with a fair number of modern conveniences, still has its challenges, especially when you compare the lifestyle of Americans to the lifestyle of Macedonians. It is a warm inviting culture where people are taken at face value. Family and close friends are paramount to their daily lives and as such you are never far from a visit to or from family or friends. Gostis are by far one of the most impressive and enjoyable experiences of living in Macedonia, hardly a week goes by without having a social visit. And of course food and "beverage" are always served, regardless of time of day.

The younger volunteers have restored my faith in the future of America and I hope the volunteers I have had the privilege of serving with are not the exception but rather the rule. These young men and women are caring, dedicated and determined to make a difference. Their idealism is refreshing and generally does not waiver. I have thoroughly enjoyed "hanging" with them and pleasantly surprised when asked to do so - they appear to be "age-blind", which makes me feel like I am a genuine part of the team.

To any and all who are reading this, if you are at a loss as to what to do for a couple of years, I highly encourage you to look into the Peace Corps, regardless of age and background, there is a place for everyone.

What is next for me? I don't have a clue. I am toying with the idea of doing another two years in a different country or maybe heading somewhere to teach English as a foreign language. Or maybe house sitting in Europe. Guess I will do what I generally do and make an impulsive decision and live with it.

It's been fun. My apologies for not being more prolific in writing my blog, but hope you have enjoyed the infrequent posts. Until my next adventure, take care, enjoy life and the people you meet every day, we all have something to offer we may just have to look a little harder to find it.

Pozdrav

Ambassador Wholers, US Ambassador to Macedonia

Corey our Country Director

Spelling Bee winners

Cooking Manja during celebration of St Mary's Day

Receiving a blessing from the Pope



Isn't a gathering without music

Manja ready to be served

Everyone gets some

My host families back patio - a virtual museum

Ski center

Corey hosting a gathering of "older" volunteers

Doc Mimi and Karen 

Rob Merrigan (from Sun River) and Corey

Gourds for drinking

Hello!

One of my favorite English students - Glorija


A school in a village

Elana

Meri and Toni

Lile's house growing up

A resident of Sveti Nikola

Church in Sveti Nikola

Emma, volunteer in Sveti Nikola


Meri, the Spring Princess

Mone preparing the sheep for a celebration

When I returned from America

Cooking bread

Summer means watermellon filed with wine

Dancing is always at any gathering

Elana lighting candles outside church

Monika and Elana and their "Dado"

90+ and resting Liles grandmother

My birthday cake you they got the age correct


Another gosti

Transportation

Of course, music

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below, questions are acceptable